Thursday, June 1, 2017

Simple Chess: Principles vs. Opening Theory




In round 4 of Tuesday Night Action 33 I was paired against Luke Harris. We have played 2 other games prior to this game. I had a win and he had a win, both of us winning with the black pieces.

I am not one to study opening theory nor do I care what is fashionable or what the computer is saying. I play chess based on my own theory that with the knowledge of general chess principles and patterns one can improve their game tremendously better and faster. The key is to combine your knowledge with good calculation abilities, good visualization skills, and the ability to evaluate calculated positions in order to make logical decisions over the board in a timely manner. After all, that's what chess is all about in it's most simplest form.

I will be touching more on this theory of mine in future blogs but for now I will share the following game against Luke where I followed general principles and patterns, not the latest opening novelty, to win in 20 moves.








4 comments: