Thursday, January 26, 2017

Simple Chess: Endgames

Endgames.

I always hear that no one likes to study the endgames. Me? I prefer to study endgames, less pieces, less theory I need to stay up to date with unlike openings. The endgame is simple (read: complexly simple).

Just because I say it is simple does not mean that I make it simple in my games. In fact, the opposite is actually true. I will take you through some of my own endgames to show you why it is important to embrace this phase of the game.



As you can see these are three of my games that were either won or lost because of either my or my opponent's lack of endgame knowledge. It wasn't because of my openings that caused me to lose one game, almost draw a second game or win the final game. It was endgame knowledge or lack thereof. I hope that you now see the importance in studying the endgame. If so, below are some of the books I have used to increase my endgame knowledge.

Endgame Books I Have Used

  • Silman's Complete Endgame Course
  • Just The Facts
  • Amateur to IM
  • Capablanca's Best Chess Endings

This is my first attempt to mate with King and two Bishops versus a lone King. Since Tuesday night I have spent a lot of time working on my endgames by going through Parts 1 through 5 of Silman's Complete Endgame Course. The last material I covered was this mating technique. Playing these positions out against a computer or with a friend is a great way to make sure you understand the material. I did not have to consult the book or computer for help, as you can see, I did not play it the most accurately but I was able to get the job done. Now it will be a matter of mastering the technique.



No comments:

Post a Comment